November 29, 2009

New Faces in My Hometown

I recently traveled to a small town in Pennsylvania to visit some family members for Thanksgiving. This town has a population of around 1000 people and a minority rate of about 1% non-Caucasian.

Interestingly enough, this is the town I was raised in from the time I was 3 until I was 13.

Yes, I have many stories of what it was like growing up being the only 'ethnic' person in my school and one of the very few in the entire town. It was challenging, to say the least and there were a lot of hurt feelings and black eyes when I was little girl.

But that is for another time. For now I wanted to comment on the increase of ethnicity in the small town. While most people that I saw of different races were mixed with White- it certainly was a nice change to be greeted at the grocery store and even McDonalds by a person of another race. Maybe it's just a personal thing, but it gives me hope for a brighter, more colorful future all over the map.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!